Code Compliance 


It is the mission of the Haines City Code Compliance Unit to promote the health, safety, and welfare of City Residents, Business and Property Owners by mitigating physical signs of urban blight through the enforcement of the City codes.

The Code Compliance Clerk also serves as liaison to the Special Magistrate.

Common Violations

The three most common violations are weeds, exterior property sanitation, and motor vehicles.

A permit is required for but not limited to: 

  • Structural Repairs
  • Re-roofing
  • Most Plumbing and Electrical
  • A swimming pool that can hold 24 inches of water or more
  • Any business located within the City Limits requires a City and a Polk County Tax Receipt

A setback is a required amount of distance between the property line and where items may be located, (e.g., sheds, RVs, boats, etc.). Setbacks vary according to the particular zoning and location of the property.

Code Compliance Officers routinely attend neighborhood association meetings to review and explain code requirements. Please contact the Code Compliance Office at 863-421-9937 to arrange for a Code Compliance Officer to attend your next meeting or event.

Trash Can Violations

If you receive a trash can violation, please contact our Public Works Department.

High Weeds and Grass

Tall weeds and grass over 12 inches in height is a violation and considered a public nuisance

Structure Maintenance

The following items shall be maintained in weather-tight, rodent proof, sound condition and in good repair: 

  • Wood
  • Siding
  • Shingles
  • Roof covering
  • Railings
  • Walls
  • Ceilings
  • Porches
  • Doors
  • Windows
  • Screens
  • Interior walls
  • Ceilings
  • Floors
  • Hardware

Exterior Property Sanitation

As a property owner it is your responsibility to maintain the exterior of your property in a clean, safe and sanitary condition. Items that may not be kept or stored on the exterior of the property include but are not limited to: 

  • Trash
  • Junk and Debris
  • Tires
  • Building Materials
  • Indoor Furniture
  • Household Appliances
  • Auto parts


Fences must be maintained in the same condition as when originally erected. If you are installing a new fence which is of a type/style different from what is currently there, you must obtain a permit. No permit is needed to repair or replace a fence of the same type.

Unlawful Animals

It is unlawful to keep the following animals within City limits: 

  • Chickens
  • Ducks
  • Guineas
  • Quail
  • Pigeons
  • Partridges
  • Pheasants
  • Pigs
  • Goats
  • Sheep
  • Horses
  • Cows
  • Cattle
  • Any tamed or captive wild animal or reptile

Inoperable Vehicles

It is unlawful to keep an inoperable or unlicensed vehicle(s) parked or stored on any premises. Any vehicle in a state of major disassembly, major disrepair or being stripped or dismantled may not be kept on the property. Painting of vehicles is prohibited (unless conducted inside an approved spray booth).

To report a Code Violation or for more information, please email Code Compliance or call at 863-421-9937.

Anonymous Complaints

Florida Statute 162.0415 requires that we can no longer accept anonymous complaints with exceptions.

The State requires that the complainant give their name, address and phone number.  The Statute requires us to confirm the person’s identity.

Was this page helpful for you? Yes No